Headed Places With iQ Build Project: Haolebuilt II
BY Scion CM
Picture Courtesy of JDMZIPTIES.
It's been one of the first modified iQs to hit the scene. As it turns out, TAZ, aka Scion Owner surfcitylocal, isn't new to Scion. Get the story from the owner himself...
All other pictures courtesy of Mark Graves.
I chose my Scion iQ for the same reason I chose my First Gen Scion xB, the uniqueness of the vehicle. I was taken with the boxy appearance of the xB when I first saw it and had to buy one. I had a lot of fun building it through three different themes and showing it all over at car shows and events.
When I first saw the Toyota iQ back in 2009, and found out Scion would be bringing the model to the US, I knew I had to have one. During Scion Night at Knott's Berry Farm in 2010, I had a chance to sit in an iQ and talk to Scion Vice President Jack Hollis about the car. After hearing all the great things he had to say I was hooked and began the wait for its release. The build began in December of 2011 after finally receiving my iQ - all the waiting and planning was starting to become real to me!
I began planning the build by contacting aftermarket companies and arranging for their help in building the iQ – with a goal of showing it at SEMA in Las Vegas this coming November. I've been fortunate enough to build relationships with well-respected companies for aftermarket products. Beat-Sonic USA will be featuring the iQ during SEMA – but many other companies have also provided support and parts for the build:
- Air-Runner Inc., air suspension system custom designed for the iQ
- Dakota Digital, air suspension gauge system
- FIVE:AD, Five Axis Designs, iQ Aero Body Kit, wing and R6:F Silver wheels, Muteki super tuner nuts
- Beat-Sonic USA, Front and rear cameras with head unit interface, shark fin antenna
- OEM Audio +, 300CF audio system including carbon fiber speakers, 32 bit DSP amplifier and powered subwoofer enclosure designed for the iQ
- Tanabe USA, Strut tower bar, frame brace and cat back exhaust system
- DC Sports, Cold air intake
- Toyo Tires, Proxes 4 tires
- O-NEX, HID headlights, fog lights and reverse lights, LED headlight trim
- Mita Accessories, Toyota side mirror LED turn/puddle lights
- MGP Caliper Covers, color matched caliper covers
- Pecca Leather, leather covered seats front and rear
- M2 Motoring, headliner, dash plates, visors and pillar leather covering
- Classic Soft Trim/Signature Sunroofs, in roof powered sunroof
- WAK Shop, custom iQ door rods
- Varad, underbody, wheel well, interior and engine bay lighting
- 742 Marketing, provided introduction to Toyo Tires
- Clear-Pro, complete front end clear bra application
- Island Motor Sports, vinyl production
My First Gen xB was named "Haolebuilt". I consider myself a Haole, the Hawaiian word for "white guy". Although I live on the mainland in Huntington Beach, I find myself feeling most at home on the Island of Maui. I have always been a water oriented person – swimming, scuba diving, snorkeling and surfing since the age of thirteen. It is my hope to retire to Maui someday. The iQ has become the "Haolebuilt II" project. If you look at my license plate holders, you'll see Scion of Glendora on the back where I purchased my iQ and Maui Scion on the front. It's where I've been and where I'm going.
I have been a member of the FUSCION Car Club for four years. I've served as the President, Vice President and am currently assisting where ever I am needed. FUSCION is a great group of people who have become my family. We are really more of a social club that all drive Scions, Toyota and Lexus vehicles.
Scion Corporation has treated me and my fellow Scion owners better than any other car company I have ever dealt with. The cars they sell us are not the most expensive on the market – but you wouldn't know that by the way they cater to us. From the Corporate sponsored dealer events to the big daddy-Scion Night at Knott's Scary Farm, Scion has shown us how much they appreciate our business and support. The Scion brand has brought together many people that would have otherwise never met. I've made so many new friends since purchasing my xB back in 2005.
I would have to say my favorite event with Scion was the Scion United commercial shoot in Las Vegas. There isn't a lot that can be said since "what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas" but if you were there, you know. I will always be grateful to Scion for opening a whole new avenue of friendship to me by bringing us owners together. My loyalty continues on with the purchase of the iQ. I am proud to explain to people what the car is, who makes it and what it can do. Just like the First Gen xB, the iQ is a polarizing vehicle – people either like it or they don't. I am doing my part to encourage those who like it to get one and join the fun!
TAZ aka "surfcitylocal"
Thanks for sharing with us TAZ! We've enjoyed seeing Haolebuilt II become a great representation of how cool such a small car can be! All we want to know...does your iQ sport a surf rack or did you keep your xB for that?! Mahalo!
What do you think? Let TAZ know in the comments below!